Monday, August 31, 2026

To Canada

Back in July, Anand and I looked at the calendar and noted the dates of my proton beam treatments, my next immunotherapy infusion, and the start of his semester. Between the second and third of those items we found a free week, so we booked ourselves a flight to Nova Scotia to see my parents.

To be honest, the trip was a challenge, and if I could have waited a bit longer past my proton radiation treatment before traveling I would have done so. I still feel tired and weak a lot, and it is difficult for me to be out and about, where places to sit down, to lie down, to retreat from the public eye, or to find a bathroom are not as readily available as at home.

It was good to see everyone, though. There were lots of family members besides my parents to catch up with as well. Pictured is one of the horses from my family's horse tour business (an old photo, but still relevant).

Horse tours with Trot in Time

Every time I go to Nova Scotia I know that it could be the last time I will see my parents. This time my mother, who has Alzheimer's, forgot at one point that I was her daughter. That was a strange experience. Most of the time, though, she recognized both me and Anand and even asked after Gita.

Now we are home, and I have a paper to write up based on the talk I gave in June. I have a bit of a break from treatment, with no treatments scheduled in September. My next immunotherapy infusion is scheduled for October 1.

1 comment: